Thursday, May 15, 2014

Millennial Confessions!

I think that most of us can agree that trying new things, taking risk, is always scary. I know, I know -- we all hear the many inspirational stories of the men and women that accomplished by taking chances, by never giving up. This got me thinking, when I am planning my next move, when I am ready to move forward, what holds be back the most? Granted, I have to say, I have, over time, learned how to better train myself to push past the opposition. What holds me back, temporarily and pushed me to hide behind the shadows of others, is, what if I fail? Something my pastor said last night has been resonating all day. When you fail so many times, it's really not so bad. HA! He is a comedian. So true though, you learn to get back up. Not sure if you can relate with my story, my greatest struggle has been that initial risk. That first jump. There is so much said about young cats my age (yes I said young.) I have read articles, emails, statuses, tweets... you name it. Millennials are this, millennials are that. So I ask my fellow millennials, what are some of your own thoughts? I can tell you about this (me) millennial. I seek purpose and intention in what I do, as a professional. Do I know it all? Do I encounter moments where the two don't always match, indeed. Today I sit and ask myself, what is it that I want to do in life? I want to help people? But how? I have to first identify my skills, and flaws. It's okay, weaknesses are okay and just an FYI friends, it's okay to not be perfect at everything. Going back, so yes, weaknesses and strengths. Identify them in your life. Don't beat yourself up, believe me there is always someone that appears to be smarter than me, they are like my heroes. Did you identify these? Now, let's go back for a second, look at these flaws, what can you do to improve them? Listen, I admit, I am not the best at writing and my grammar, let's just say, not always the best. Does that stop me? Yes, sometimes. Forever? No! I take it with a grain of salt. If you are like, you are probably your worst critic, or best. You got that, now let's continue to identify these and just work on them. It may take some time, I feel your pain or anxiety. Ha! But don't give up. Let me share something, if I have grown in my professional, spiritual, emotional and physical health it has to be because of the people I surround myself with. I am not afraid to be told, you did it wrong, doesn't mean you want someone who will always put you down, but someone who can be honest with you. So, even if it hurts, have mentors by your side that will coach you. Shoutout to my mentor(s) - they are the best! Take it one day at a time. Make mistakes, it's okay. Learn from these mistakes though. Work on your confidence and as I learned last night, this confidence should not be rooted in your success, I mean it's nice and all, but it shouldn't. It should be rooted in love. Knowing that at the end of the day, who you are, is not just about what you do, but what you have within you. Your character and ability to withstand opposition in life. Have a little faith. All will be well. Sincerely a millennial,

No comments:

Post a Comment